Monday, March 9, 2009

Happy Birthday Barbie!



Today is the 50th Anniversary of the Barbie doll. Barbie Doll debuted on March 9th, 1959 at the American International Toy fair in New York city. She has changed in appearance many times over the past 50 years but will always be my favorite doll.

I got my first Barbie doll in the spring of 1968. She was a second hand doll purchased at a church bazaar. Although the doll was an older model, with straight-legs and a ponytail hair style, she provided many years of fun. In the early 1970s I received a few newer dolls to add to my little family of Barbie dolls. Unfortunately, I no longer have my original dolls due to some strange whim in my late teens that led me to give them all away.

In the mid 1990s Mattel started creating vintage reproductions of the older Barbie dolls. I purchased a few of them as well as newer dolls to add to my collection so the fun continues!

The photo above is of my Solo in the Spotlight vintage reproduction doll. I altered the photo using Adobe Photoshop.

1 comment:

Postmaster said...

They've been doing a whole series of events to celebrate the anniversary, including a photoshoot with some Italian male model.

http://ifitshipitshere.blogspot.com/2009/02/sneak-peek-karl-lagerfeld-barbie-ken.html