Friday, July 23, 2010

Comic Con

Once again it's Comic Con International time and Dan and I couldn't be there.

These are the first day covers I made for the Marvel Comics Superhero stamps that came out in July of 2007 at a special event at the San Diego Comic Con. They made stamps for ten Marvel comic book heroes. I was only able to make four designs. They were created from sketches I made inspired from Champions character sheets and various comic advertisements. The sketches were imported into Adobe Photoshop were I added color.

Each hero had a "head shot" and comic book cover postage stamps. I had to make envelopes for Spider Man And the Hulk.





The Thing's comic book was the Fantastic Four so I included the whole team.



I included Walf with my favorite, The Thing. This is the fifth appearance of Walf on a first day cover.



The fourth appearance of Walf is on an envelope made by my friend Keith (along with envelopes for the other nine heroes!) Keith also chose to portray Walf with the Thing. His envelopes were all drawn by hand and colored with water colors. I received his envelopes before I had even sent mine out for the cancellations! Unfortunately the Post Office chose to use the plain cancellations on his envelopes.


2 comments:

Postmaster said...

Carrie remembers the day I got those covers back. I was so mad I went out into the back yard and broke rocks.

Deane D said...

I don't blame you. You put a lot of work into those envelopes and then you get the plain postmark. What was the point of making a special postmark if they didn't use it.